Sunday, June 23, 2013

We are Lucky Cats

We are lucky kitties because of where we live.  We are not usually subject to earthquakes or flooding, as we are on high ground, nor tornadoes.  Our biggest threats from natural disaster would be a bad hurricane, snowstorm or a forest fire.

This week, we heard about a brave kitty called Momo who lives in Alberta, Canada. Recently this province has been hit with a slow moving storm which has dropped unprecedented amounts of rain filling the rivers to over flowing.  These rivers spilled down the Rocky Mountains and quickly caused massive flooding in this province.

Momo 's owner had rushed home to rescue her from the rising waters around their home.  They were making their getaway in the truck until the vehicle hit a deep spot and started sinking.

Both Momo and her owner escaped the truck but had to swim.  They both made it to shore and were pulled to safety.  Momo's owner knew she liked paddling around in the bathtub, but was amazed she could swim so far.

Read the story here

Some photos here

Yes, we cats can swim if needed, however useful, we would prefer to NOT to have use this skill, unless our lives depend on it, right?   Any kitties out there LIKE to swim?


Moe
I like to watch water swirl around in the laundry room set tub, and sometimes I like to stick my paw in the water dish while I drink from it.
 
Mindy
Water is strictly for drinking, and I like it cool and fresh.
 
Mike
I don't really need water for my washing up; um, I'll just use my amazing tongue.
 
Cookie
I think a cloth dampened with a bit of water might collect some of my fur that has collected on this chair but on second thought, forget it; 'my' chair is perfect the way it is!!
 
Have a safe and happy first week of summer!

17 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

We saw that; our human's been watching the coverage. It's beyond words, not something our country usually sees.

It would be a good idea if we all had an evacuation bag ready to go, just in case there's ever an emergency.

Purrs to all affected.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

What a great story! We tend to agree with the "water is for drinking" idea...

Purrs,
The Chans

Mickey's Musings said...

We were very happy that Momo and her
human are safe. Having to swim would be scary!! We also think water is just for drinking. Yup! We are happy to live where we do in this nice province of Nova Scotia :)
Purrs Tillie and Georgia,
Treasure,Tiger,JJ and Julie

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That is very scary. I am glad Momo and her owner are safe.

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

That was a scary story and glad it had a happy ending. I hate the bath so no thanks.. Hugs GJ x

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

We are so glad this had a happy ending!

A few Good Cats said...

Momo is a mighty lucky cat, too. Our Kelly would put his paw in the water dish too, like Moe.

Sparkle said...

That is an amazing story - from the photos, it looks like Momo was doing a better job at swimming than her human!

I don't know what I'd do in a flood - I'm deathly afraid of water. My human can't even hold me near a sink without me freaking out.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Hooray for Momo! I am so very glad she made it! I love to drink water, but that plenty for me.

The Island Cats said...

What an amazing story about Momo. We're so glad she and her human are safe.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

We are very happy about the end is great~!!

Oui Oui said...

We kitties feel water is for drinking only! Water used any other way brings out the worst in us.

We get hurrycanes and sometimes blizzards and very occasionally a small earthquake or tornado. Ironically we had a tornado touch down near our home a week ago Thursday. That Momo was a very brave cat! We applaud her!

magiceye said...

All you guys look so cute!!

I love to frolic in the water :)

Bozo

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

So glad that Momo and her human are safe.

I love water to dip my paw in and drink.

Purrs x

da tabbies o trout towne said...

we hurd bout momo N dad N wuz like way happee they both getted safe lee ta shore....it wuz a close one...

as far az waters heer go, we like ta fish in em N never noe what de catch oh de day will bee til we catched it...

N play inn in de toy let iz great sport two :)

Dma said...

wow. momo and her owner are very fortunate...

Poppy said...

Wow! What an amazing story! I'm so glad they both made it to safety!

Poppy